Re: Using indexes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Linh Luong <linh(dot)luong(at)computalog(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using indexes
Date: 2001-05-30 22:57:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

Man I am tired of this question. I have updated the FAQ:

<P>Indexes are usually not used for <SMALL>ORDER BY</SMALL>
or joins: a sequential scan followed by an explicit sort is
faster than an indexscan of all tuples of a large table, because it
takes fewer disk accesses.</P>

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us