Why can't I do this (setup question)

From: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why can't I do this (setup question)
Date: 2001-05-20 00:42:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I've got PostgreSQL 7.1 installed from rpms on a RedHat 6.2 system. I
want the data directory on a separate partition, so I shut down, tar the
whole directory into the other directory, mount it, and when I start up
postgresSQL it says it's up, but I can't connect to any databases using
psql.
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
Is the postmaster running locally
and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
There is a postmaster running, but no socket in /tmp/

Here's the whole sequence of commands as root:
mkdir data.new
chown postgres.postgres data.new
mount /dev/hdc6 data.new
cd data.new
(cd ../data; tar cvBf - .) | tar xvBpf -
cd ..
mv data data.old
umount data.new
mkdir data
chown postgres.postgres data
mount /dev/hdc6 data
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

Is there a way to make this work, or am I going to have to export and
import?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>, not speaking for anybody
Command, n.: