Re: VACUUM FULL

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: Brian McCane <bmccane(at)mccons(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM FULL
Date: 2002-05-11 00:38:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 10 May 2002 at 19:18, Brian McCane wrote:

> But, a 4% decrease in size should not add up to a 84% increase in
> performance (is that right? I always get the ratio confused :).

Have you tried an ANALYZE as well? It wasn't mentioned.

See http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?routine-vacuuming.html

PostgreSQL's VACUUM command must be run on a regular basis for several
reasons:

1. To recover disk space occupied by updated or deleted rows.

2. To update data statistics used by the PostgreSQL query planner.

3. To protect against loss of very old data due to transaction ID
wraparound.

Read 8.2.2. Updating planner statistics
--
Dan Langille