Re: a primer on trigger?

From: newsreader(at)mediaone(dot)net
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a primer on trigger?
Date: 2001-05-04 16:40:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 09:16:12AM -0700, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> I believe you can make syscalls if you
> write a trigger in C (rather than one
> of the procedural languages).
>
> However (and it's a big one), you should
> only ever consider modifying something outside
> of the database from a trigger if it's
> something that is absolutely safe to do
> if the transaction rolls back.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will
investigate further along the line of writing
the trigger in C. But at this point I
am leaning towards sticking to my current
routine which has worked flawlessly
for many months. The reason I need
some 'trigger' is it's a huge mess
to maintain when it does come to the
time to maintain. Right now I'm moving this scheme
to a different set of hardware and it's
quite a nightmare to juggle so many programs
at once while keeping everything running.

It _is_ quite trivial to write a safe perl
trigger especially because I control both client
and server end of postgres. With C it
will be whole new game for me.