Calling functions inside a function: behavior

From: Edipo Elder Fernandes de Melo <edipoelder(at)ig(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Calling functions inside a function: behavior
Date: 2001-04-02 11:50:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I wrote a function that call another functions, like this:

FUNCTION (...) AS '(...)BEGIN

PERFORM FUNCTION1();

PERFORM FUNCTION2();

(...)

END;' LANGUAGE 'PLPGSQL';

The problem is that takes a long time to execute (I stoped after three
days executing). To see who taking more time to execute, I modified each one
to return the time of its execution. Then, a made a scrip like:

SELECT TIMESTAMP 'NOW';

SELECT FUNCTION1();

SELECT FUNCTION2(); (...)

SELECT TIMESTAMP 'NOW';

and, for my surprise, it take minutes to run. I read the documentation
and I didn't found any coment abou this behavior. Can anyone explain this?

Thank you,

Edipo Elder

[edipoelder(at)ig(dot)com(dot)br]

Oi! Voc quer um iG-mail gratuito?