Re: Rule/currval() issue

From: Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rule/currval() issue
Date: 2001-03-14 18:13:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:09:18PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net> writes:
> > This is related to the plpgsql project I was working on this morning. I'm
> > trying to create a rule, so that when a row is inserted into a certain table,
> > we also create a row over in a "counter table". The problem lies in getting
> > the primary key value (from the sequence) so it can be inserted in that
> > related table.
>
> You probably should be using a trigger, not a rule at all.

OK - so another rule like this one, is probably ill-advised as well? It seems
a lot easier than going into the triggers:

CREATE RULE forum_delete_agg AS
ON DELETE TO forum
DO UPDATE forum_agg_msg_count SET count=count-1
WHERE group_forum_id=old.group_forum_id;

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge