Re: Internationalized error messages

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Internationalized error messages
Date: 2001-03-09 11:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For transaltion to other languages I not sure with gettext() stuff on
> backend -- IMHO better (faster) solution will postgres system catalog
> with it.
>
> May be add new command too: SET MESSAGE_LANGUAGE TO <xxx>, because
> wanted language not must be always same as locale setting.

In the multibyte enabled environment, that kind of command would not
be necessary except UNICODE and MULE_INTERNAL, since they are
multi-lingual encoding. For them, we might need something like:

SET LANGUAGE_PREFERENCE TO 'Japanese';

For the long term solutuon, this kind of problem should be solved in
the implemetaion of SQL-92/99 i18n features.
--
Tatsuo Ishii