Re: Re: DES in Postgres?

From: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: drevil(at)sidereal(dot)kz, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: DES in Postgres?
Date: 2001-03-01 14:30:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:27:15AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 08:59:38AM -0000, drevil(at)sidereal(dot)kz wrote:
> >
> > Is there a function in Postgres which will DES-encrypt a given string
> > with a given key? If not, has anyone out there written a linkable C
> > function to do that? I know it's easy to do, if you know C, but I
> > don't know C.
>
> In the 7.1 contrib tree is nice crypto module, perhaps (I hope)
> contains DES too. Only 2 weeks to this release...

Nope. Only digest() is there :( I have encrypt/decrypt stuff
coded, but there is problem with "what I tell"/"what I want"
differences - so I mostly dig in various crypto libraries
around at the moment. It would be nice if encrypted data can be
decrypted with later versions of pgcrypto too :)

I have hoped to get the binary format stable, then release,
but if there is interest I can make a for-playing-only release.

Btw, I have hmac() and crypt() too...

--
marko