Re: transaction safety

From: DaVinci <bombadil(at)wanadoo(dot)es>
To: Lista PostgreSql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: transaction safety
Date: 2001-02-12 13:43:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:08:01PM -0000, Michael Ansley wrote:

> The number returned by the sequence for the serial ID is retained within the
> session, and so it can be returned by calling currval, e.g.:

...[a detailed example]...

> Typically, the insert for a person, and for all the associated addresses
> would be done in the same transaction so that if the insert for one of the
> addresses failed, then the whole lot would role back (perhaps a bit extreme,
> but I think that's what you asked for ;-)

That sounds good ;)

I thought it is possible to have different transactions opened and insert
data in same table from them. It seems my idea was fault, doesn't it?.

In sumary: locks with inserts are for table and not for tuple. If this is
not true, tell me details, please :)

Thanks for all.

David