Re: character sets

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: yohans(at)demiurge(dot)sirius-images(dot)net
Cc: bmatthewtaylor(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: character sets
Date: 2001-01-19 01:22:42
Lists: pgsql-general

> hi all,
> Does postgres support other character sets?
> We've been thinking in porting an application to chinesse, but we don't
> know if it's possible to store chinesse characters in postgres

I don't know what kind of Chinese are talking about, but PostgreSQL
does support both tradional Chinese and simplified Chinese.

tradional Chinese: EUC-CN

simplified Chinese: EUC-TW (you could use Big5 for clients
only. PostgreSQL will do automatic conversion between Big5 and EUC-TW,
in this case)

ALso, you could use UNICODE(UTF-8). For upcomming 7.1, PostgreSQL will
provide automatic conversion between:

UTF-8 <--> EUC-CN
UTF-8 <--> EUC-TW
UTF-8 <--> Big5