Waiting for postmaster to be completely started

From: oberpwd(at)anubis(dot)network(dot)com (Wade D(dot) Oberpriller)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org (general-help postgresql)
Subject: Waiting for postmaster to be completely started
Date: 2001-01-16 23:13:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a script with the following code:

$(PGSQL)/bin/pg_ctl -D $(PGSQL)/data start ;\
$(PGSQL)/bin/createlang -L $(PGSQL)/lib plpgsql template1

Sometimes I get an error from createlang, and it appears that postmaster
has not completely been started and is not ready to accept connections. Does
the pg_ctl script wait until postmaster has been started and is ready to
accept connections? If not what is a good way of determining this?

I am trying to automate the building of the database, and I need a reliable
way to do this.

Wade Oberpriller
oberpwd(at)network(dot)com