Re: Index not being used in MAX function (7.2.3)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jim(at)nasby(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index not being used in MAX function (7.2.3)
Date: 2003-06-11 17:02:57
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jim C. Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> writes:
> Not to drag this out further, but you might want to hold off on that
> patch. 7.4 is supposed to use indexes for max/min.

Where did you get that idea?

There's been no change in the basic problem, which is that no one has
proposed a reasonably general method of translating aggregates into
index manipulations. Postgres has an extremely general, extensible
concept of aggregates, and we're not going to mess it up with some
poorly-designed hack. But show me a clean design and implementation,
and it'll go in.