bug with dropping tables and transactions.

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bug with dropping tables and transactions.
Date: 2000-09-11 20:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There seems to a race condition somewhere where that if you're
running let's say pg_dumpall and happen to drop a table mid-dump
pg_dumpall will die because it looses the table.

Would it make sense to use a transaction system so that when a table
is renamed/dropped it doesn't actually go away until all transactions
that started before the drop take place?

one could do probably implement this using refcounts and translating
dropped tables into temporary mangled names.

table foo
begin transaction
drop table foo
foo becomes foo~1
for all transactions
started before the drop

end transaction
foo~1 and mapping are
dropped.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]