Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)

From: Joe Brenner <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
Date: 2000-08-21 19:40:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well, just to throw another piece of information into the
mix, there is a new bug-tracking system under development by
the folks at collab.net. They call it "scarab", and last I
talked to them that they thought it would be ready for
production use Real Soon Now:

http://scarab.tigris.org/

I guess they regard this as a replacement for bugzilla.

Some personal opinions:

(1) I would actually like to see bugzilla fixed rather than
replaced. The collab.net guys are into java servlets
because they're CS geeks who are down on perl. Me, I'm a
perl loyalist who thinks that Larry Wall is onto something
-- mathematical elegance may not be the right standard to
judge a computer language.

(2) And maybe it'd be nice if the "religous wars" could be
dropped in favor of pure objective technical decision
making, but i don't think they can be: the social and the
technical don't neatly split into two little piles. (A case
in point: the argument that using a mailing list for bug
control is somehow "warmer" or "more human" than a bug
database.