Re: dangers of setlocale() in backend (was: problem with float8 input format)

From: Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator(at)apartia(dot)ch>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dangers of setlocale() in backend (was: problem with float8 input format)
Date: 2000-08-15 15:53:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 11:30:11AM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

> > But your patch sounds incredibly useful :-) Has it been integrated in
> > the mainline code yet? How does one use this functionality?
>
> It never will integrated into the PG standard main tree, because it is
> stupid patch for common usege :-( (and I feel ashamed of this :-)
>
> > Also what is the main difference with using the standard gettext call?
> >
> > setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_US");
>
> This ('LC_ALL') call load support for all locales categories (numbers,
> text, currency...etc.). Inside postgreSQL it's dangerous, because it
> change for example float numbers deciamal point..etc.

[SNIP very interesting info on PG internal locale processing]

Considering that would it then be safe to only use LC_NUMERIC and
LC_MESSAGES in setlocale() calls? The dangers Tom Lane talks about in
reference to changing locale in the backend seem to be related to
LC_COLLATE stuff, right?

Thanks for your input, cheers,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm(at)apartia(dot)org - http://www.apartia.org

I don't build computers, I'm a cooling engineer.
-- Seymour Cray, founder of Cray Inc.