Re: Disable the more command

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: froilan(at)tridel(dot)net
Cc: Marcos Barreto de Castro <mbdecastro(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable the more command
Date: 2000-07-22 05:31:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Froilan Mendoza wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Marcos Barreto de Castro wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me how can I disable the more
>> command at the end of any one page display in
>> PostgreSQL 7.0 ? I simply don't want to be asked to
>> press a key to continue displaying the result of a
>> query.
>
>Hmm. I don't have the answer to your question, but I have a question
>which does the reverse -- how can I _enable_ the "more" function? .. when
>I do, say \do, there are a lot of operators displayed, how can i see them
>per page.

\pset pager

From psql manpage (in release 7.0.2):

pager Toggles the list of a pager to do table
output. If the environment variable PAGER is
set, the output is piped to the specified
program. Otherwise more is used.

In any case, psql only uses the pager if it
seems appropriate. That means among other
things that the output is to a terminal and
that the table would normally not fit on the
screen. Because of the modular nature of
the printing routines it is not always
possible to predict the number of lines that
will actually be printed. For that reason
psql might not appear very discriminating
about when to use the pager and when not to.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver