Untrusted PL/Tcl?

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Untrusted PL/Tcl?
Date: 2000-07-18 11:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

there have been a couple of questions WRT doing untrustable
things like file access, LDAP and the like from inside of
triggers or functions.

Tcl is a powerful language and could do all that, but the
interpreter used in PL/Tcl is a safe one, because it is a
trusted procedural language (any non-superuser can create
functions). I think it should be pretty easy to build a
second PL handler into the module, that executes the
procedures in a full featured Tcl interpreter, that has all
capabilities. This one would be installed as an untrusted PL,
so only DB superusers could create functions in that
language.

Should I go for it and if so, how should this language be
named?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #