Re: Vacuum only with 20% old tuples

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum only with 20% old tuples
Date: 2000-07-14 00:02:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, but there seem to be problems with that.

pgsql=# delete from t2;
DELETE 0
pgsql=# vacuum;
VACUUM
pgsql=# reindex table t2 force;
REINDEX
pgsql=# \c
You are now connected to database pgsql as user pgsql.
pgsql=# insert into t2 select * from t1;
FATAL 1: btree: failed to add item to the page
before or while processing the request.

Happens too if I don't reconnect to the database between
REINDEX and INSERT. Also if I drop connection and restart
postmaster, so it shouldn't belong to old blocks hanging
aroung in the cache.

The interesting thing is that the btree index get's reset to
2 blocks. Need to dive into...

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #