Re: Slashdot discussion

From: philip(at)adhesivemedia(dot)com (Philip Hallstrom)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot discussion
Date: 2000-07-10 15:49:06
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <am(dot)pgsql(dot)general(dot)963210387(dot)90464(at)illiad(dot)adhesivemedia(dot)com>,
Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>Graeme Merrall wrote:
>> Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
>> great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
>> MySQL is a good introduction.
>
>In what way is mysql easier to learn?
I think MySQL is easier to learn since there are a lot of DB features
(transactions, views, sub-queries, etc) that are missing... so there's a
lot less to learn... I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing though
since people end up "hacking" there way around that sort of thing -- I
know I did...
There are a lot more third-party tools (someone mentioned that web admin
tool) etc... which a lot of people like. I tend to stick to the command
line and for the most part they are both the "same" in how easy/hard it
is to learn them.
I personally find postgres' docs to be much better if only because it is
broken up into reasonable chunks... and I like the very explicit
statements indicating whether this is a postgres extension etc... (yes,
i know there is a section in mysql, but i don't think it's mentioned
with the defination of a particular statement).
-philip