Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>, Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 18:01:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Tim Perdue wrote:
>
> > Benjamin Adida wrote:
> >
> > ...useless rant about all MySQL users being stupid inept programmers
> > deleted....
> >

> > > PHP folks have a bias, too: PHP was built with MySQL in mind, it even ships
> > > with MySQL drivers (and not Postgres). PHP's mediocre connection pooling
> > > limits Postgres performance.
> >
> > Well the point of this article is obviously in relation to PHP. Yes,
> > Rasmus Lerdorf himself uses MySQL and I'm sure Jan would say he's a
> > "wannabee", not a "real developer".
>
> I would seriously doubt that Jan wuld consider Rasmus a 'wannabee'
> .... Rasmus essentially built a Web optimized, HTML embedded language that
> I imagine a *large* percentage of the sites ...

NEVER!

Once I've built a PG based middle tear with an apache module
that could in cooperation be a complete virtual host inside
of a DB. Including inbound Tcl scripting, DB-access, dynamic
images and whatnot. Never finished that work until AOL-Server
3.0 appeared, at which point I considered my product
"trashwork".

Some of the sources I looked at (and learned alot from) was
the PHP module. So I know what kind of programmer built that.

Maybe someone of the PG community should spend some time
building a better PHP coupling and contribute to that
project. And there are more such projects out that need a
helping hand from our side.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #