Re: large text fields?

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Ron Peterson <rpeterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>
Cc: Mike Salib <msalib(at)MIT(dot)EDU>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: large text fields?
Date: 2000-06-14 22:53:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Peterson wrote:
> Mike Salib wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to find out if I can store more than 8k characters of data in
> > one field in a single row. I'm working on a web based app and limiting
> > myself to 8k posts is problematic. Has this limitation changed in
> > Postgres 7?
>
> No. You have three options, I think.
>
> (1) Increase the data page size and recompile.
>
> (2) Use the large object interface.
>
> (3) Check out Jan Wieck's TOAST project
> (http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html). It's still in
> development, but maybe you can help.

With the latest changes to the CVS, my epoch-grown-linux
doesn't complile a fresh CVS copy any more. So I cannot even
tell what to do to get that snapshot running. Better wait
until I've got my new Notebook running under RedHat and am
able to incorporate the TOAST stuff into CVS.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #