Orphaned locks in 7.0?

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Orphaned locks in 7.0?
Date: 2000-05-11 17:35:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Argh! I can't reproduce this:

NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
before or while processing the request.

Basically I was running two instances of psql, in one I issued:

one two

begin;
lock data; -- some table
lock data;^C -- cancel
select * from data;^C -- cancel
end;

lock data;^C -- HUNG then aborted

It's annoying that I can't seem to reproduce this, and I know LOCKs
are only to be requested during a transaction, but it did happen.

thanks,
--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]