Re: full-text indexing

From: Jim Richards <grumpy(at)cyber4(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: full-text indexing
Date: 2000-04-19 01:27:02
Lists: pgsql-general

At 08:40 PM 18/04/00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>I have one word for you: CLUSTER. Without it, index lookups are too
>slow. With it, they are rapid. I have done some work like this
>commerically with Ingres, which has an ISAM type that keeps the matching
>rows pretty close on a newly-created ISAM index. In PostgreSQL, and
>regular CLUSTER will keep you good.

The only down side of CLUSTER is that you loose your other keys on the
table, including a primary key, so you loose out on your intregrity checks,
which you the have to explictily re-apply with CREATE UNQIUE INDEX ...

--
Kumera - a new Open Source Content Management System
for small to medium web sites written in Perl and using XML