Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping
Date: 2000-01-23 21:27:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think we are spoiled with Tom, Jan, and Vadim who just show up and
> > produce 100% functional patches the first time. Some people go at it in
> > different ways. Eventually it all gets working. I can't tell you how
> > many times I have added a feature or fixed something, and then had Tom
> > Lane or Vadim come along and fix my fixes.
>
> 2 points:
>
> a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussion
> b) Peter's change wasn't a fix

Usually some one cleans me up. :-) Even with discussion, my stuff is
not 100%.

I did code to extend the number of index columns >8, but broke the
system in several ways. Tom Lane fixed it for me. I think I even
committed it with a broken initdb, but figured out how to disable it
while Tom and I worked on it.

Yes, but even my feature additions have problems. :-)