Re: [HACKERS] I think we need an explicit parsetree node for CAST

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] I think we need an explicit parsetree node for CAST
Date: 2000-01-16 22:04:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Yes, and constants with cases in SELECT INTO are broken too.
>
> Huh? I'm not sure if I follow this or not --- would you give an
> example?

Here is the mail I sent out last night. It shows a failure:

I see your issue, and I don't know the code well enough to comment on
it.

I was able to do:

test=> select 'x' as fred into test ;
NOTICE: Attribute 'fred' has an unknown type
Relation created; continue
SELECT
test=> \d test
Table "test"
Attribute | Type | Extra
-----------+---------+-------
fred | unknown |

test=> select 'x'::varchar as fred into test ;
SELECT
test=> \d test
Table "test"
Attribute | Type | Extra
-----------+------------+-------
fred | varchar(0) |

Seems we should disallow this. This last one is the one you want to
fix:

test=> select 'x'::varchar(20) as fred into test ;
SELECT
test=> \d test
Table "test"
Attribute | Type | Extra