Re: [HACKERS] --enable-multibyte

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] --enable-multibyte
Date: 2000-01-14 01:57:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter,

> * If you configure with --enable-multibyte then you build a server and
> clients that are multibyte enabled (as defined by the MULTIBYTE symbol).
> If you don't use multibyte functionality then nothing will change, so this
> would be the preferred option for package maintainers.

This actually would mean that the default encoding is set to
SQL_ASCII, I guess. Since the encoding column in pg_database must be
filled with some value, we need to pick up a default value for it
anyway. Any encoding could be a candidate for the default, probably
SQL_ASCII is a good choice, IMHO.
--
Tatsuo Ishii