Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql

From: Martin Tedjawardhana <bitboxx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "amrit(at)health2(dot)moph(dot)go(dot)th" <amrit(at)health2(dot)moph(dot)go(dot)th>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>, PGsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql
Date: 2005-01-12 15:19:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Yes , of course I must try to upgrade PGsql to 7.4 and may be OS to FC 2-3 too.
> My server products are intel based [mainboard , CPU ,Case , Power supply ,RAID
> Network card] dual Xeon 32 bit 3.0 Ghz which I consulted Thai intel supervisor
> and they told me that increasing the ram for more than 4 Gb. may be possible
> depending on the OS.

I never tried FC before, but I recommend using Debian (with custom
kernel) or if you have the patience: Gentoo. Those are "strictly
business" distros, no unnecesary stuffs running after installation.
Providing a good base for you to focus on performance tweaks. Others
may have different opinions, though...