Re: Configuration knobs & dials to speed up query optimization

From: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuration knobs & dials to speed up query optimization
Date: 2023-11-23 14:28:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Am 22.11.23 um 17:13 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> Pg 9.6.24, which will change by April, but not now.

out of support since many years!

> Here are the only non-default config values which I can think of that
> are relevant to the question at hand:
> shared_buffers = 16GB
> work_mem = 300MB
> maintenance_work_mem = 12GB
> effective_cache_size = 96GB
> default_statistics_target = 200

As Laurenz said, default_statistics_target is too high at 200 in my
opinion. It makes all planning more expensive and increases internal
statistics. It is better to do this specifically for selected
tables/columns.

Andreas

--
Andreas Kretschmer - currently still (garden leave)
Technical Account Manager (TAM)