Re: Extension for PostgreSQL cast jsonb to hstore WIP

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: ShadowGhost <violin05082003(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extension for PostgreSQL cast jsonb to hstore WIP
Date: 2024-04-02 21:21:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-04-02 Tu 11:43, ShadowGhost wrote:
> At the moment, this cast supports only these structures, as it was
> enough for my tasks:
> {str:numeric}
> {str:str}
> {str:bool}
> {str:null}
> But it's a great idea and I'll think about implementing it.

Please don't top-post on the PostgreSQL lists. See
<https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists#Email_etiquette_mechanics>

I don't think a cast that doesn't cater for all the forms json can take
is going to work very well. At the very least you would need to error
out in cases you didn't want to cover, and have tests for all of those
errors. But the above is only a tiny fraction of those. If the error
cases are going to be so much more than the cases that work it seems a
bit pointless.

cheers

andrew

--