open up firewall from "anywhere" to postgres ports?

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: open up firewall from "anywhere" to postgres ports?
Date: 2009-03-07 21:27:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a very basic issue that i'd like to discuss
I have just recieved a newly installed database server.
I'm wondering if i should open up the ports to my two clusters 5432
and 5433 from "Anywhere"?
As an alternative, i could add each ip address both in the firewall
and the pg_hba.conf.

I feel that it's a stupid question, since there is pg_hba, which
already does this work.
Yet all the people that i know, do it in the firewall AND the pg_hba.conf.

Is there any potential danger in opening up the firewall for those ports??

cheers,

WBL

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all
others because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw