Re: BUG #18576: Using EXPLAIN (VERBOSE) in information_schema.element_types returns ERROR: failed to find plan for

From: Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18576: Using EXPLAIN (VERBOSE) in information_schema.element_types returns ERROR: failed to find plan for
Date: 2024-08-20 09:43:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 19/8/2024 21:16, Andrei Lepikhov wrote:
> On 19/8/2024 19:26, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> The main reason I'm being sticky about this is that if we need to
>> allow CustomScan, then it seems likely that we also need to allow
>> ForeignScan, and maybe some other things, and then I start to
>> wonder if we should have any assertion at all about the child
>> plan type.  So I want to actually understand what is the scenario
>> in which this will happen.
> I understand your point — the origins of ForeignScan and CustomScan are
> the same.
> However, we also have a difference: CustomScan can be executed locally
> and sometimes may allow volatile functions, CTE, and many other things
> in the underlying subtree. That's why we can't replay some cases with
> ForeignScan stuff.
> But ok, it make sense. I'll try to reproduce the case by employing
> ForeignScan.
Delving into the intricacies of ForeignScan, I came to the realization
that implementing a push-down of ROW() expression in FDW is no simple
feat. It requires a 'deparse' routine and other complex stuff. While
there have been the attempt [1], it appears to be in a raw state, making
it challenging to use.
Given that ForeignScan forms a flat target list for foreign scans and
assembles whole-row expressions locally, it's worth pondering: do we
really need to limit CustomScan in the same way? If yes, should we add a
'restrictions' section describing the limitations of the underlying
subtree's target list to the documentation?

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2253e9091b300d868d524c0943fa8796@postgrespro.ru

--
regards, Andrei Lepikhov