Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Date: 2024-07-05 21:38:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2024-07-04 at 14:26 -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> I think you're saying that if some Unicode update changes the results
> of a
> STABLE function but does not change the result of any IMMUTABLE
> function, we
> may as well import that update.  Is that about right?  If so, I
> agree.

If you are proposing that Unicode updates should not be performed if
they affect the results of any IMMUTABLE function, then that's a new
policy.

For instance, the results of NORMALIZE() changed from PG15 to PG16 due
to commit 1091b48cd7:

SELECT NORMALIZE(U&'\+01E030',nfkc)::bytea;

Version 15: \xf09e80b0

Version 16: \xd0b0

I am neither endorsing nor opposing the new policy you propose at this
time, but deep in the sub-thread of one particular feature is not the
right place to discuss it.

Please start a new thread for the proposed PG18 policy change and CC
me. I happen to think that around the release of the next version of
Unicode (in a couple months) would be the most productive time to have
that discussion, but you can start the discussion now if you like.

Regards,
Jeff Davis