Re: Proposal: Early providing of PGDG repositories for the major Linux distributions like Fedora or Debian

From: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Hans Buschmann <buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Early providing of PGDG repositories for the major Linux distributions like Fedora or Debian
Date: 2024-05-02 23:44:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, 2024-04-24 at 11:02 +0000, Hans Buschmann wrote:
> Today (24.4.2024) I upgraded my laptop to Fedora 40, but there where
> no repository available, so I ended with a mix of Fedora 40 and Fedora
> 39 installation.

This was caused by an unexpected and very long network outage that
blocked my access to the build instances. I released packages last
Thursday (2 days after F40 was released, which is 26 April 2024)

I sent emails to the RPM mailing list about the issue:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/aec36aec623741ae314692b318c890c646498ca6.camel%40gunduz.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1fe99b0def5d7539939421fa5b35db2c8f2a40ad.camel%40gunduz.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3a1b0f58673d35fae9979ed2b149972195c7b8bc.camel%40gunduz.org

> To mitigate this situation, I propose to provide these repositories
> much earlier in the beta phase of the distributions:

This is what I do for the Fedora releases. I'm sure you've noticed that
in the past.

Regards,

--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor