Re: regarding schema only migration from sqlserver to postgres with runmtk.sh

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regarding schema only migration from sqlserver to postgres with runmtk.sh
Date: 2016-06-15 20:42:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/15/2016 1:30 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> One possible option to use the PostgreSQL's FDW capabilities with a
> suitable third-party extension that does talk to SQL Server.
>
> The other is to dump plain SQL, hopefully standard-conforming, INSERT
> statements from the SQL Server and load them into PostgreSQL via psql.

last time I had to convert some MS SQL to another database (it was MySQL
but thats immaterial), I wrote a perl script to do it. there were
only 6 or 8 tables, so I manually created the schema, then my perl
script stepped through each table, for each row, fetching from the
source database and inserting into the destination.