Need help extripating plpgsql

From: "James B(dot) Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Need help extripating plpgsql
Date: 2013-02-21 17:38:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I am trying, without success, to create a PG-9.2 database without
including the plpgsql extension. I have tried specifying template0
and the database is nonetheless created with plpgsql. I have deleted
plpgsql from template1 and the new database is nonetheless created
with plpgsql.

I desire to remove plpgsql from newly created databases because the
dump that is generated by pgdump contains this line:

CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS plpgsql WITH SCHEMA pg_catalog;

And for some reason this statement causes my test suit to fail with
this error:

psql:/home/byrnejb/Projects/Software/theHeart/code/proforma_rails_3_2/db/structure.sql:22:
ERROR: must be owner of extension plpgsql

I do not understand why this happens since, as I read this, if the
plpgsql extension already exists in the database, which it does, then
this statement should not be executed at all. But it does. Further,
I do not understand why or how plpgsql is being included into
databases on create as I have removed it from template1 and it does
not exist in template0 to begin with.

I note that plpgsql has NO owner specified in the newly created
database, which mystifies me as well. Naively I thought that newly
created databases would have all of their components owned by the
database owner.

How do I resolve this problem?

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB(at)Harte-Lyne(dot)ca