Re: postgresql FDW vs dblink for DDL

From: Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <a(dot)mantzios(at)cloud(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql FDW vs dblink for DDL
Date: 2024-09-09 10:24:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/8/24 23:46, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 9/8/24 13:04, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> for remote DDL execution (such as CREATE TABLE) is dblink my only
>> option?
>
> You will need to define in what context you are considering options.
>
> For instance you can do remote DDL operations by passing a command or
> script via psql.

Thank you Adrian,

I was thinking of wrapping the DDL around a FUNCTION that will handle
both the local and the (possibly various logical subscriptions), so that
my programmers don't need to write extra scripts.

And the thing is that this creation via DDL is inside our design.
Certain users create some backup tables of the public data in their own
schema (via our app), then do some manipulations on the public data,
then restore to the public or merge with the backups. When done, those
backup tables are dropped. So the DDL is inside the app. And the
question was if dblink is my only option, in the sense of doing this in
a somewhat elegant manner. (and not resort to scripts, etc)