Re: Is it possible to load two different versions of the JDBC driver in the same application?

From: Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tecno Brain <cerebrotecnologico(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to load two different versions of the JDBC driver in the same application?
Date: 2014-04-11 21:32:10
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Apr 11, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Tecno Brain <cerebrotecnologico(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have a Java application that is using Postgres 9.1, and we use the latest 9.1 JDBC driver.
> The same Java app requires access now to a Redshift cluster. Amazon recommends to use a Postgres 8 JDBC driver.

Why? That’s ancient! Have you tested that the newer driver does not work?

> Can I load both drivers in the same application ?

Technically, yes. You can load each driver in a separate classloader. You may wish to look into a container solution like OSGI if you go this path.

I wouldn’t recommend it. Diagnosing problems when multiple class loaders have the same classes loaded but different versions will quickly melt your brain into a puddle of mush.