Radial searches of cartesian points?

From: thatsanicehatyouhave(at)mac(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Radial searches of cartesian points?
Date: 2012-01-05 17:01:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a data set of several hundred thousand points. Each point is saved as a three dimensional coordinate, i.e. (x, y, z). What I'd like to do is given a point in that space, get a list of all of the points in the table within some radius.

I'm familiar with the q3c package that does this for points that lie on a sphere, but is there something comparable for radial searches on 3D cartesian points? Speed is definitely an issue given the number of points I have.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Demitri