Re: [SOLVED] Re: pgsql8b5 not launching on OSX system start;

From: OpenMacNews <pgsql-general(dot)20(dot)openmacnews(at)spamgourmet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: pgsql8b5 not launching on OSX system start;
Date: 2004-12-02 23:46:57
Lists: pgsql-general

hi tom,

> In that case it's a problem in your launch script. The postmaster
> doesn't even know that such a file exists; it keeps its lock file
> in the data directory.

well, hmmmm.

the launch script is currently simplified (for testing) to just the
pid-checking-if-stmt + the single line launch cmd. there's honestly not much
left to have a problem with ...

note that my cmd line refers to the conf file, which has the external PID id'd
in it:

external_pid_file = '/var/run/postgresql.pid'

i've set it up to be (eventually) watched by a watchdog app ...

so, wouldn't (a) the postmaster know abt the PID file, and (b) check for its
existence?

or am i misunderstanding the purpose/use of the external pid?

cheers,

richard