Re: [GENERAL] Access rescrictions

From: "brent wood" <brent(dot)wood(at)blazemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Access rescrictions
Date: 1999-12-15 17:39:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'd be comfortable with this solution for a few customers, but if you have a few thousand then admin/maintenance becomes a problem. I'm new to PostgreSQL (very) but I'd have thought a short bit of C with embedded SQL or Perl code could be run to create/drop such a view as a particular customer connected to the db?

Even run the create view command from a file written by a shell script with script variables specifying the view name & cust. ID to do the same thing?

Creating & dropping views is very low overhead, surely? & much tidier than keeping a permanent view for every user?

(I'll admit that this gives customers the right to create & drop views, but if this is a concern, run the create su'd to the dba)

>---- Begin Original Message ----
>
>Couldn't you restrict access to the table
>and create views such as
>
>CREATE VIEW BillsCustomerID001 AS
>SELECT * FROM Bills WHERE CustomerID=001
>
>CREATE VIEW BillsCustomerID002 AS
>SELECT * FROM Bills WHERE CustomerID=002
>
>etc.
>
>and give Customer 001 access to BillsCustomerID001
give Customer 002 access to BillsCustomerID002
etc.

Get your own Free E-mail!
http://www.blazemail.com