Re: ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: jmp(at)micromuse(dot)com ("Jean-Marc Paulin"), pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory
Date: 2002-06-24 05:37:55
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

[...]
>If I run postmaster as a daemon from a cygwin telnet session, createdb works
>fine.
>If I run postmaster as a service (via the cygrunsrv), createdb return the
>error: "could not initialize database directory".
[...]

This means the user you login to the telnet session is different from the user that executes postmaster as a service (usually SYSTEM or LocalSystem, which, usually again :), is not provided with the rights to login), and/or the options used to start the postmaster as a daemon are different from those used to start it as a service.

[...]
>Any hints ?

[...]

You must check the user context for the two cases, and make sure that you use the same command line options for postmaster when started as a service, also the environment variables.

SLao

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop(at)Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/