RE: [HACKERS] ONLY

From: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'chris(at)bitmead(dot)com'" <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] ONLY
Date: 2000-02-07 07:42:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Been trying to read the SQL3 draft. My best guess is that this
>> is the appropriate section...
>>
>> Let T be the table identified by
>> <ANSI> <table name>
>> <ISO > <table or query name>
>> contained in a <table specification> TS.

>> c) If ONLY is specified, then TS identifies a table fo the
>> rows
>> that do not have any corresponding row in any
>> subtable of
>> T.
>>
>> I assume this a round-about way of saying that "ONLY" is
>> used to exclude
>> subtables?
That's not what it sounds like to me. To me, this sounds like it will only
include those rows that do not have associated rows in sub-tables. That's
not the same as selecting rows without the associated sub-table rows. Kind
of a select * from TS where not exists (any rows in sub-tables of TS)

Looking at it again, it does sound very ambiguous, but I would still lean
(semantically, not using common sense) to what I wrote above. Of course,
common sense would dictate otherwise.

MikeA