Re: Append only tables

From: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
To: Kurt Roeckx <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Append only tables
Date: 2020-03-24 20:59:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Mar 24, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be> wrote:
>
> I think I'll set autovacuum_freeze_max_age a lot lower than the default
> 200 M.

Hmm… not sure what you really want to accomplish?

Administrating a high volume database and went the other way; with it set to 800M; however, auto vacuum set aggressively. I don’t want to see wrap around/freeze vacuums occurring as they are more aggressive than auto vacuum, a good indicator that vacuuming is not occurring enough, and will block where normal auto vacuums will yield. Really shouldn’t run into blocking issue unless issuing DDL statements; which the application shouldn’t do anyway. It does happen though; despite not allowing DDLs an applicatoin developer thought it would be wise to embed statistics updating on a table. The result is that the application would be denied but it still required a lock on the table to do so; the result is the freeze operation blocked the application.