RE: MSSQL7 & PostgreSQL 7.0

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "'shevlandj(at)kpi(dot)com(dot)au'" <shevlandj(at)kpi(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: RE: MSSQL7 & PostgreSQL 7.0
Date: 2000-05-18 11:06:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As usual when replying from here, replies prefixed with PM:

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support

> > (as well as ascii text files) to PostgreSQL. I'm open to
> suggestions if
> > anyone feels there are improvements worth making....
>
> Firstly I have to say its a great bit of work (pgAdmin),

Thanks...

> however it'd be
> nice to see an open source tool mirroring the functionality
> of the DTS. I
> especially liked the way you could script the mappings
> between fields, as
> well as the GUI builder for complex transforms (in fact I
> absolutely loved
> that (when it worked :), I had too long on the beta). As well
> as being able
> to use pre- and post- conditional actions upon
> success/failure of certain
> parts, like emailing, calling other programs etc.

Thats an interesting idea. What exactly do you script though? Things
like
(pseudo-code of course):

If SOURCETYPE = "AutoNumber" Then
DESTTYPE = "int4"
DESTDEFAULT = "nextval('record_id')"
EXECSQL "CREATE SEQUENCE record_id"
End If

or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely?

PM: -------------
The scripting is used to convert one or more columns in the source into
a single column in the destination. You have one for each column.

ie:

Source Destination

id ---copy---> id
date -\________\ datetime
time -/
name ---copy---> name

The copy bits aren't scripted but the middle one is.

Here, there's a script handling the conversion of date & time into a
single value.

I have a case of this here, where I use DTS to run dumpacl on our domain
controllers to return the security logs, and pipes the output through a
transform into a table. NT Events have two fields for the date, but I
need one, so the script for the above case is:

Function Main()
DTSDestination("datetime") = DTSSource("date")+"
"+DTSSource("time")
Main = DTSTransformStat_OK
End Function

Now that was a little bit of VB Script, but it could easily be Perl,
Javascript etc.