Re: Default fill factor for tables?

From: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, "Pgsql General list" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default fill factor for tables?
Date: 2008-07-11 20:10:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> >> Is there any way to set a different default fill factor?
> >
> > ALTER TABLE Yourtable
> > SET ( FILLFACTOR = 50 );
>
> Hehe. I know how to do that. I mean the default fill factor for a
> database / user for tables / indexes.. Like setting search_path for a
> user.
>
> alter database mydb set indexfillfactor=50;
> alter user me set tablefillfactor=75;
>
> so that newly created indexes in the db mydb have fillfactor of 50 and
> tables created by me are at 75.

Why would you set the fillfactor to anything other than 100 for a
PostgreSQL table?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/routine-vacuuming.html

I thought an updated record always got a new row in a table. Setting a
lower fillfactor for a table suggests that PostgreSQL behaves like
Oracle in terms of filling blocks up and having chained rows.

Jon