WARM standby with pg_standby

From: Dennis Thrysøe <dth(at)geysirit(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WARM standby with pg_standby
Date: 2010-04-08 13:40:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I have a few elaborating questions in regard to setting up Warm Standby.

1) The master keeps writing WAL files even though I'm quite sure nothing is happening. This seems like a large waste of diskspace?

2) Sometimes my slave does not read and delete WAL files when in recovery mode. This will eventually fill up the disk.

pg_controldata gives me:

Minimum recovery ending location: 0/0

What does that mean?

Is there any good ways of troubleshooting the behaviour, and finding out precisely what state the slave is in, etc.?

Thanks,

--
Geysir IT
dth(at)geysirit(dot)dk