Re: Getting a primitive numeric value from "DatumGetNumeric"?

From: Demitri Muna <postgresql(at)demitri(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a primitive numeric value from "DatumGetNumeric"?
Date: 2018-02-23 01:00:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Tom,

On Feb 20, 2018, at 10:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Well, the implicit coercions work in your favor in this particular case.

Ah, I wasn’t aware of implicit coercion. Yes, that solves the problem perfectly, thanks.

Out of curiosity, how does one read a numeric type from within a C extension (i.e. get a number value out of the Datum type)? I ask as I was unable to find an example and there are a few open questions on Stack Overflow (e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12588554/postgres-c-function-passing-returning-numerics)

Thanks,
Demitri