Threaded PGSQL access (was Re: [SQL] zombie postmasters)

From: Mathijs Brands <mathijs(at)ilse(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Threaded PGSQL access (was Re: [SQL] zombie postmasters)
Date: 1999-11-17 00:10:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 06:39:27PM -0500, Stephen J Lombardo allegedly wrote:
> Depending on the programming environment you are using you may be able to
> employ a
> technique such as connection pooling/handling to seperate the actual database
> access from the program
> handling IO. This way even if the client disconnects in the middle of a large
> query the
> connection manager can still cleanly disconnect from the database or clean up
> from the offending statement..
>
> Utilizing a connection handler offers other benefits as well; namely it can
> eliminate the need to open
> a new database connection for every CGI process or Servlet thread. This can
> reduce overhead by
> making it unneccesary for Postgres to start a new process for yet another
> client, and hence authenticating
> another user.

Where can I find such a connection handler? Or would I be better of writing
one myself? I need to access PostgreSQL from a custombuild scriptinglanguage
running under a threaded webserver, so I can't use libpq straight out of the
box. Such a connection handler might be the answer to my problem.

Mathijs