Re: [SQL] Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: phd2(at)earthling(dot)net
Cc: Albert REINER <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [SQL] Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE
Date: 1999-10-23 13:59:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Albert REINER wrote:
>> I.e., I can VACUUM, but I cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE. Why should analyze
>> do an ABORT? By the way, I do not notice any strange behavior with
>> this database, and pg_dump works fine on it.
>
> Once I saw similar behaviour. I found thta the problem was in broken
>strcoll() function in glibc2; I compiled Postgres with locale support.
>After upgrading (Debain GNU/Linux 2.0 to 2.1) I got newer libc, and the
>problem gone away.
> What system/config you are running? OS, compiler, postgres version,
>compilation flags?

There was also a specific vacuum analyze bug in vc_abort, fixed in 6.5.2.
The error log showed something like

ERROR: vacuum: can't destroy lock file!
NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state

See the pgsql-hackers archive around 10th and 13th August.

--
Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk