Re: (fwd) Problems with Postgres

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Craig Sanders <cas(at)taz(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (fwd) Problems with Postgres
Date: 1999-08-10 17:27:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers: has anyone any insight on this one, please?

Craig Sanders wrote:
>one of my clients is having problems with postgresql. i've upgraded to
>the latest version 6.5.1-5 hoping that might fix the problem..no luck.
>
>any ideas?
>

>BTW, i turned on debugging in postmaster.init and this is a sample of
>what it shows - "ERROR: vacuum: can't destroy lock file!". there are 2
>or 3 instances of this in the logs.

>ERROR: vacuum: can't destroy lock file!
>AbortCurrentTransaction

This does seem to be a problem with 6.5.1. I have got a similar one coming up
in the regression test database. Very interestingly, it has arisen since
my last clean vacuum and I have not touched the database since then. I
wonder if it is possible that vacuum has itself corrupted the database.

I have found no useful information in the logs; the actual error seems to
indicate that the vc_shutdown() routine is being called a second time for
the same database, but I cannot yet see why (if you want to investigate,
it is in src/backend/commands/vacuum.c).

--
Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk